The Representation of the European Region Tyrol-South Tyrol-Trentino in Brussels was initiated on the basis of an agreement between the governors of the three regions in 1995. They gave birth to the first cross-border EU liaison office in Brussels.
The Representation of the European Region Tyrol - South Tyrol - Trentino was established in 1995, shortly after Austria’s accession to the European Union. Following an agreement signed by the presidents of the State Tyrol, the Autonomous Province of Bolzano/Bozen and the Autonomous Province of Trento, the office was founded to effectively represent the interests of the regions at EU level. The three regions, which were united under the County of Tyrol from 1363 until the end of the First World War, are characterised by a long-standing historical and cultural connection that goes beyond national borders.
Since 2005, the office of the Representation of the federal state of Tyrol, the Autonomous Province of Bolzano/Bozen and the Autonomous Province of Trento is located in the heart of the European quarter in Brussels, within proximity to the European Parliament, the Council of the European Union, the European Commission and the European Committee of the Regions. It was the very first cross-border liaison office in Brussels.