The European Region Tyrol-South Tyrol-Trentino supports scientific research by funding multi-year research projects.
One of the goals of the European Region Tyrol-South Tyrol-Trentino is to promote and strengthen scientific research in the three member regions. For this reason, the EGTC’s Assembly decided back in 2014 to set up an Euregio research fund. The "EuregioScienceFund" supports multi-year joint research projects (IPN - International Project Networks) in the field of basic research involving the three Euregio areas. The awarded projects strengthen interregional cooperation at the scientific level, in line with the objectives of the EuregioScienceFund.
EuregioScienceFund: a big success
The first three editions of the EuregioScienceFund were very successful, having received well over 120 applications. A total of 5.5 million euros was awarded to 16 selected cross-border projects, funding 50 research jobs in the Euregio area.
The project is currently in its fourth call for proposals. The Euregio Joint Secretariat and the Austrian Research Fund (FWF) have organised information webinars as part of the fourth call to inform researchers about this opportunity.
- Developing new ideas in various scientific areas of non-profit scientific research
- Creating research networks between the three regions Tyrol-South Tyrol-Trentino
- Funding interregional research networks that involve all three Euregio regions Tyrol-South Tyrol-Trentino and that are underpinned by a common goal and a collaborative approach
- Fostering interregional research networks in the main thematic fields of interregional cooperation
- Supporting project networks with a project volume between 250.000 and up to 500.000 euro over a funding period ranging from 24 up to 36 months
- Increasing international visibility of scientists and researchers from the European Region Tyrol-South Tyrol-Trentino
- Giving young scientists and researchers an opportunity to improve their knowledge, professional skills and integration into the scientific community
For Tyrol: In order to be eligible, the scientist or researcher has to carry out his research in Tyrol or at an institution with a seat in Tyrol.
For South Tyrol and Trentino: Applications for those parts of the project relating to South Tyrol and Trentino may only be submitted by research organisations such as a university or a research institute.
Other requirements: It is necessary to include all member regions in every research project.
The research institution must appoint a scientist to lead the project. The main evaluation criteria are the curriculum, quality, peer review, independence and international prestige of the publications.
The composition of the consortium is also evaluated, taking into account scientific aspects, human resources, impact on other branches of science beyond the specific field and financial aspects.
To find previous editions of this poject and the corresponding documents, you can visit this web page.
Euregio Science Fund – 4th call
Pease note: in order to optimize information regarding the 4th call the EGTC organizes in cooperation with the Austrian Science Fund FWF information webinars. The information webinars are handled by two FWF scientific officers and offer specific information regarding the 4th call:
- 1 hour general information regarding the FWF and its procedures (evaluation standards)
- 1 hour explanation of the call guidelines (Frequently asked questions)
- 1,5 hours for specific questions regarding IPN projects Subject to available places (maximum participants), each information webinar is open for every interested researcher, regardless of his affiliation to a research institution in Tyrol, South Tyrol and Trentino.
The first information webinars already took place on July 6th and July 7th 2020. Further webinars will be offered end of August/beginning of September 2020. Please contact email@example.com if you wish to participate at a webinar.
Please note, that with the 4th call of the Euregio Science Fund only Interregional Project Networks IPN with project parts form all three regions (Tyrol, South Tyrol and Trentino) are admitted to funding.
4. Call „Euregio Science Fund“
4rd call: Guidelines for IPN Interregional Project Networks